Monday 11 February 2013

Moving Madness

Just sitting here drinking my second cup of coffee this morning and thinking about how much more rich my parents would be, if they never moved so many times in their life. They were living up here with us in Edmonton for a year and went back to Saint John, but after being in Saint John for only a short 6 months, they are moving back out here, because my Dad's on and off boss he has worked for, for years is still a cheap old bugger! My father is making way less then bare minimum of what a high rise window cleaner makes. In bigger cities like Oshawa Ontario (the main place my parents moved to from Saint John at least on 5 or 6 different occasions) is when he is making money. Not only is the city big, but there are a lot of big buildings and also good when you travel an hour out of Oshawa to Toronto itself. Where most of my father's boss building contracts are in Ontario. I never understood why we moved so much! Especially if they enjoy making money and being able to eat well and provide for their family. I don't know what is so special about Saint John, to move back and try to make an attempt to live well in poverty. You're nothing if you don't have a successful company, or are a doctor, lawyer, nurse etc. The list goes on.
I understand that they most likely miss family and close friends in Saint John, but that in my opinion is not good enough for me to want to move back there from Edmonton. Seriously, when you think about it, moving is expensive and selling all the stuff you own to help pay for moving expenses and also moving out of province on 5 or 6 different occasions, it is definitely costly; and that 5 or 6 moves back and forth is only counting for their moving from Saint John to Oshawa.
Add September 2011 to their list of moving to Edmonton from Saint John to their list. My parents are moving back and are expected to be here in the middle of March; well my father is coming up first to work for a couple of week to make enough money to fly my Mother and baby brother up. I think this is the shortest time spent back in Saint John after deciding to move again.
Oh wait, just thought of the year my parents made a deal with my grandma and have me live with my grandma up in Browns Flats (past grandbay), while they lived in Oshawa Ontario for that year to make a quick 'smash grab' at some money to help pay off bills and save up some money. So that is one more moved to their list, but without me in the picture for that year. Although, it must of costed them some money, because I remember my Mother was down a lot from Oshawa at least every second month to come and see me. So paying for air fair every second month would add up if you were doing this for a whole year.
To think if my parents of stayed in one place, they might have saved up some money and had at least a small little house to call home instead of living in apartments all their lives. They both have nothing to show for all this moving, even though my father makes good money doing what he does when he is in big cities. If Saint John had high paying jobs Jonathan and I would still  be there, but were not. We've got to do what we have to in order to provide for our wee one. I thank God that we are not making the same decisions as them. Yes, I miss all my family and friends in Saint John (especially the friendliness of everyone there, people in general will actually open the door for you; which will be worth another blog post on rude people and nice people), however, it is not worth living in Saint John living from pay cheque to pay cheque.
The only way anyone will be seeing Jonathan and I back in Saint John will only be for two reasons, 1. Every year on our vacation visit, 2. When Jonathan retires oh and I have a third reason ( I know I only said I had two), 3. If there was a big boom in the revenue down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment