Thursday 12 April 2012

Easter Traditions

So Easter just came and gone. I told myself when I was pregnant for Aaliyah that I would not submit to the pagan ritual's and holidays. Since there is no such thing as the Easter bunny, but of course I gave in. Silly me. I was walking through the mall seeing all the Easter decorations and candies in dollar stores, Wal-mart & Zellers. I just could not help myself. All the outfits like bunny head pieces are too cute and very adorable on babies. So this year I made it short and sweet. I got Aaliyah necessary gifts for Easter. I followed more of the same kind of tradition my parents did for my brother and I. They would buy miniature chocolate eggs wrapped in foil. Make one trail for me and one for Joel. They would also buy gifts for us. The trail would start from outside our bedrooms and then stop by top of the stairs with a small gift on the first step going down. Something small like a the chocolate bunnies, then the trail made its way down the bottom of the stairs, then it would be a hollow bunny, then trailing into the living room would be like a cosmetic product for me and a wrestling figure for Joel. As the trail kept going the gifts got a little bigger. So I did that type of Easter with Aaliyah except for the fact that I tried to at least keep God on mind too. Aaliyah's trail started in the living room from the couch to the mini coffee table, then her first gift was a hollow bunny, then a little ways away was another gift package of mini eggies, then the next gift was a bag of what looked like soothers, but had candy on them and the front looked like bunny teeth, then the present along the trail was some nice colorful headbands, then the last present was a DVD of The Miracles of Jesus. It is a nice little cartoon. Aaliyah enjoyed watching it and so did I. I do not want to take from the real meaning of certain holidays even if it pagan to celebrate Easter if I am going to. I at least want Aaliyah to know the real meaning/reason behind why it is celebrated even if it is not commanded to celebrate this day in the bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment