Tuesday 21 January 2014

Penne Noodles and Creamy Carbonara with Shredded Chicken

I love pasta always have and always will. I am trying to make my favorites more healthy. I may not make my pasta noodles from scratch, but everything else I am trying to make from scratch so I can control my in take of fats, carbs & sugar etc. I love creamy carbonara's. It is very delicious and usually loaded with salt if you buy the pre-made sauce. I also like the versions out there with chicken mixed in as well. So what I did was made a simple white sauce most people call it bechamel. Bechamel's can be turned in alfredo sauces or the starting base for bisque's, chowder's and cream sauces to pour onto fish. It is endless for the ways your can prepare it. So I am going to stop babbling on and just go straight to ingredients.

Sauce:
2 TBSP Butter
1 TSP Salt
1 TSP Black Pepper
1 TSBP of Flour
2 Cups of Milk (I used partly skimmed, since I am watching my weight)
2 TBSP of Epicure's Bacon Salad Topper (I like the bacon flavor in carbonara's so felt this was great for this meal)
1 TBSP of Bacon Fat (Every time I cook bacon I pour the fat into a mason jar in my fridge)

Meat:
Two Pieces of Boneless Skinless chicken.

Noodles:
1 1/2 cup of Penne Noodles

Topping:
Chunks of bread (2 slices)
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese (shredded)

Start by bringing to boil water in a pot then add your noodles. While your noodles are cooking I then heat my frying pan and melt the butter along with adding the salt and pepper to the mix then add the flour and stir then add bacon fat. Then add the milk in a little bit at a time. This helps the sauce from burning, because if you pour the whole 2 cups in at once it will burn and also get lumpy. For each time I would add more milk I would a sprinkle of the bacon salad topper from Epicure's spice. I always tasted as I went and sometimes would have to add just a pinch of salt. Once you have finished adding all the milk bit by bit and it has thickened. I turned off the stove, put it on the back burner with a lid on top.

During the time of making the carbonara sauce the penne noodles were already finished. So I drained them and put them aside in a bowl.  Then I cooked the two pieces of chicken up into shredded pieces. Then I put the noodles into the pan with the sauce and also added the chicken and gave it a good stir, then poured the whole batch into a baking dish. Then I topped it with the chunks of bread and shredded cheese. I put the dish in the oven for 15 minutes just to warm it up and allow the cheese to melt and the bread chunks to get crispy.

The whole family loved it! Jonathan never compliments my meals often and when he does, that means he is really impressed. He took his first bite and first thing that came out of his mouth was "Mmm this is delicious." and my little girl took a lick of the sauce off her spoon first and as soon as she realized how tasty it was she ate it all up and with each mouthful she would say out loud "Good num (yum)."

No comments:

Post a Comment